Tuesday 6 November 2012

Task 2d- Inquiry.

I found this task quite hard. It seems silly too as I just have to ask myself some questions and answer them but when I sit down and really think and put my thoughts into words I found myself almost confusing myself. Eventually after some deep thinking I came up with some answers and really enjoyed challenging my brain to think and reflect.

What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic? 

At the moment I am looking into hopefully becoming a teacher after completing this degree course. As it is something I have never really done a lot of before, I am currently researching and looking into ways of becoming a good teacher and what sort of teaching I would like to do. I am looking for a teaching assistant job or some small dance teaching jobs to try and gain some experience for in the future when i have my full teaching qualifications. I really look up to my old ballet teacher who I actually covered a class for a couple of weeks ago, at her dance school. She hasn't taught me now for about 6 years but out of all the teachers I have ever had throughout my dance training she seems to stick in my head. I admire her ways of teaching and watch her closely teaching the young children she teaches today and hope that one day I can be as inspiring as she is. I also admire my boyfriend and his patience and ambition that he has. He is a secondary school physical education teacher and after listening to some of the stories he tells me about his day I sometimes wonder how he gets up the next day and does it all again, but what I see when he's talking to me is his passion in what he is teaching. He wants to share his love for sport and help the younger generation achieve their dreams and goals and I hope one day I can also share my passion with others.

What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who also shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger? 

What really makes me angry in this profession is when I see people with less talent than me or some of my friends, getting a job that I feel they should not have got. I really don't believe in myself which has always been a big problem for me as if I don't believe in myself then who is going to? But what I am saying is that I do know the difference between say someone who can dance and someone who can't and if that person who can't dance keeps getting the job over the other person because of maybe someone they know or they are that little bit skinnier, well this really makes me angry. Unfortunately that is the way this industry works and you have to learn to deal with  it.  I admire basically everyone in this industry who gets on with it. I see a lot of my friends being upset when they get so close to getting their dream job but then I see how they pick themselves up and move on to the next audition. You have to find  a way to deal with it. Life's to short to best yourself up!

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love? 

I love that buzz you get when you hear the music and your blood starts pumping and all you want to do is move and dance because it feels amazing. How wonderful that something that feels so good is your job and something you get to do everyday. I love that dancing is something that keeps your body fit and healthy without even realising it. Without even having to say " oh I must do some exercise today" you are naturally keeping your body active by doing something you enjoy doing. I love how when you are performing a drama piece how you can be made to act any character in the world, someone as far away from who you actually are but for that moment you get the chance to let yourself go and be something different. The opportunities of being a performer are also the chances you get to  travel. Look at me. I always had the passion to go travelling and I then I was offered a job on a cruise ship were I was able to dance everyday professionally and travel to so many counties around the world I had always dreamed of going, and I was getting paid for that! I admire all the performers out there who have put in the years of hard work to then be able to live and enjoy what they love doing.

What do you feel you don't understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked the same questions as you? 

I honestly don't understand we're my life will take me. I know maybe I am not supposed to but as a child I thought I would be in a girl band and and famous by 19, and probably married with children by the age of 25 and no way is that how my life is going or even how I would want it to! Can  you imagine kids in 3 years... Omg no! What I am saying is I don't understand how the world works sometimes and how even though my love for performing is so strong, how can I continue to live not getting to actually perform on a stage everyday like I dreamed. That is why I have decided to do this degree so I can still work with dance and drama but maybe not in the way that I hoped initially. I admire my mum for understanding my decision In this. All the hours and money she has put into my dancing I didn't want her to think I am was throwing it all away just because I was going to go into teaching more than performing and luckily she understands and supports me. I also admire all the girls and boys on this course who have chose to develop there passion and qualifications they have now into something more!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsie - you have posed a range of personally important questions which I hope over the course of the programme you will develop further as you work up to carrying a professional inquiry

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Chelsie - I'm so glad to see that someone else also found answering these questions difficult!
    It's clear though, from the way that you write, how positive and passionate you are about life, dance and everything inbetween - I loved the bit where you talk about your love of music...

    Whatever path life takes you down it's how you enjoy the journey that's important and that you stay true to yourself on the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it sounds simple to come up with questions that can help you figure out where you want to go - but it is terrifically hard to do. However, your blog it looking at your professional practice at where it is now - that diagnostic or benchmarking that needs to happen to get good 'questions'. I think Part 3 will be good for you as you are heading there now - this is where I am - and networking widen that to your professional context. I think your admiration for others in your field is something of note - the sign of a good professional. This too will be helpful to expand on in Part 3.

    ReplyDelete