Wednesday 3 April 2013

5B!

Task 5b requires you to look at the codes of practice which steer the ethical framework in the work place this time using research from professional sources .

I went onto the C.D.E.T website which I found from looking at students Blogs who were basing there inquiry on a similar subject to me. I had never been on this site before and I found it so helpful and interesting.
They have a recommend Code of Professional Conduct and Practice that is to guide teachers on issues of good practice.
Here is a link to the page http://www.cdet.org.uk/teaching-and-qualifications/code-of-conduct/

It is all very interesting and extremely important to read if you are a teacher or looking to become a teacher but there are a few things that stood out to me.

' Not accept a teaching post or undertake work for which he or she is not competent or qualified.'

The reason I have highlighted this is because a couple of weeks ago I was approached by a friend who was offering me work for some children's Zumba parties. It was very good pay and regular work. They told me the work was there for me if I wanted it. What they did not understand or think about was how ethically wrong it would be if I was to accept this job as I have never taught a Zumba class in my life. They assumed as I was a dancer I would have enough experience to take on this roll but you have to have a certificate to say you are a qualified Zumba teacher in order to teach a class. I know am looking into taking the course so that in the future I can get this work but it would have been ethically wrong for me to have accepted this work at this present time.

'Ensure that students are not discriminated against on the grounds of sex, race, colour, religion, age, disability, national or social origin or other status. '

I mentioned race and discrimination in my previous blog and I think this is  a very serious subject to be aware of.

One thing that is mentioned on the C.D.E.T  website is a teachers teaching name. I never would have thought that this was an issue that should be raised but now I see why this must be. The name must not be misleading or a name that they are not entitled to.

Also something I never mentioned was the use of copy right. As a teacher you must be in accordance to the law with regards to copyright and recordings.

The C.D.E.T  explains in detail health and safety issues to consider.

  • heating levels and ventilation
  • suitable flooring appropriate to the technique taught
  • secure area for changing
  • understand his/her responsibility in case of medical emergency
  • ensure that all fire regulations are adhered to
As a teacher it is essential that you are a role model to your students. It is a Teachers job to demonstrate the correct behaviour, teach the importance of punctuality, implement self-discipline into their pupils and ensure each child's needs are met through rigorous planning.

The RAD website also has a code of conduct which I found very helpful. There are four main points they talk about.

Integrity- Respecting the confidentially of students. You must respect anything that a student/parent confides in you. It is also imperative to deal honestly with money/information somebody shares with you and to make sure private and personal interests do not conflict with professional duties.

Competence- As a teacher you must maintain up to date knowledge in what you are teaching. Lessons must be planned and not just put together during the class.

Professionalism- You must work in a positive and co-operative manner. It is also important to engage in reflective practice.

Compliance- Health and safety of every child is essential. Any body working with children must have an up to date CRB and must be aware of  child protection and data protection.


This task has enabled me to have a much better understanding, ethically, of what is required from me as a professional teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment