Wednesday 17 October 2012

Task 1b... Professional Communication Technologies.

Task 1b... Professional Communication Technologies!
What is web 2.0? Well after reading the course reader several times I finally began to understand what the terms web 2.0 is. Little did I know I was using it every single day. In fact I use it so much I couldn’t even see how my day would be if I couldn’t get access to the social networking sites such as  facebook and twitter and am sure many of you agree with me here we are addicted to them.
Web 2.0 is simply a way for the user to communicate and interact with the creator. It is a form of networking which encourages participation.  Other examples of web 2.0 are blogs which we are using on a daily basis to complete this degree and without them we would not have the opportunity to do this course. O’Rielly talks about how web 2.0 sees contribution from the user which you don’t get with web 1.0 which is just about one way communication. The web is developing daily, improving and expanding in many ways.   Reich states how web 1.0 was expensive and took more time so only a small amount of people used it were as now communication costs are lower and have led to more people using the web. From teachers to politicians, almost anyone and everyone are using web 2.0 everyday. Reich talks about how Global communication is basically free nowadays.  Just look at how people who speak to their friends and family’s across the world on Skype, how fast and clear they see and hear each other, it’s really amazing.

I do believe that web 2.0 is a fantastic way of communicating and I think that the world would be lost without out it. It is also a  great way for us as performers to network with people in the industry. It is a quick and easy way for us to share information and also promote ourselves. I know there have been times were if it wasn’t for facebook there have been auditions or castings that I wouldn’t have known about so I am very grateful for this technology but like everything in life you have to remember that there are negatives and with web 2.0 you have to be careful not to believe everything that you read. O’Rielly makes a good point how not all the information on the web is actually reliable. I think you just have to be careful and wise as to what you read and also put onto the web. Before I started this degree I did not realise that the information on wikipedia was not ' semantic web' and could not be fully trusted.
Overall I am a big fan of web 2.0 as I believe it gives us many opportunities and is developing massively day by day which is extraordinary to watch. As long as you know how to use it correctly and to your advantage I see it being a great platform in the professional world.

No comments:

Post a Comment